Last updated on August 27th, 2017 at 06:34 pm
How to download WordPress error log file?
You need access to CPanel of your web hosting service.
Here are the quick steps:-
- Login to the CPanel of your web hosting service.
- Scroll to search “files” category and click “File Manager.” (See Image 1 below.)
- On pop-up menu, select “Web Root” and click Submit. (See Image 2 below.)
- This will bring you to a new window of File Manager.
- On left panel of File Manager, “public_html” folder is selected by default.
- The “error_log” file is located at this current directory.
- As in /home/[YourGivenFolder]/public_html/error_log.
- You can use either the built-in Code Editor to open the file. Or,
- I would recommend to download the file as Code Editor limit to file size of 1 MB.
- Beside, downloading file to local drive allows you to alter the content without changing the original file in your server.
- To open the file, use local editor such as MS Notepad or WordPad.
- The file will present in a chaos of text with no proper indention or paragraphing.
- Look out for printed date with the square parenthesis, for example, [19-Jul-2012 12:42:05]
- That is where the new line of error is logged.
- The chronicle of events starts from oldest at the top and latest at the bottom of the “error_log” file.
- Oftentimes, we scroll down to the bottom of the file and start identifying the errors.